Freemasons and their families seeking help must demonstrate that they have a Masonic connection and a need for support.

Masonic connection

Those seeking support must be a Freemason or have a strong family connection to a Freemason.

A Freemason is someone who is, or was a member of a Lodge regulated by the United Grand Lodge of England.  This includes Freemasons in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man as well as members of overseas Lodges which follow the English Constitution.

The Freemason does not necessarily need to be a currently subscribing member, but he must have joined before the need arose.

We define a strong family connection as a Freemason’s:

  • married or life partner
  • widow or surviving partner;
  • divorced or separated partner;
  • child (under 25) in full-time education; and
  • grandchild (under 25) in full-time education.

Other relations may also qualify for support if they can demonstrate that a Freemason has provided them with significant financial or physical support.

Those seeking support towards Masonic care homes may also include:

  • parents;
  • grandparents;
  • relatives in-law;
  • siblings; and
  • other relations financially or physically reliant on a Freemason.

Financial, health,family or care need

Those seeking support must be able to demonstrate a need for our grants and services. Many needs follow a decrease in household income or they may arise because of a life-changing event such as a medical diagnosis, changing care needs, family breakdown or the death of a family member.

An appropriate professional such as a consultant, dentist or occupational therapist must have confirmed a health or care need. Those seeking support for health needs must also show evidence of an unreasonable wait for, or lack of, NHS treatment or Local Authority care or support.

A prior assessment with a dentist is always required for those seeking support for dental treatments.  Only the most cost effective suitable solution will be considered and dental treatments which are purely cosmetic will not be considered.

In some cases, we can fund private medical consultations or occupational therapist assessments to confirm a diagnosis or understand a person’s care requirements. By doing so, we can improve access to treatment and services and obtain the information we may need during our application process should you need further support.

Financial test

To demonstrate that any support required is beyond their financial means, those seeking our support must complete an assessment of household income, expenditure, savings and capital.

To discuss your circumstances and eligibility in more detail, please call our confidential enquiry line on freephone 0800 035 60 90 or email

Making an application

Find out more about our application process and how to apply.