Individual enquiries, applications and grants
This privacy notice explains how Masonic Charitable Foundation (Registered charity number 1164703, Company number 09751836) will use the data you provide to us when making an enquiry, applying for support and during the time we assist you with a grant or service. Our data protection lead is John McCrohan, Operations Director.
What we collect
The information we collect will depend on what you are asking us to do. It will include:
- Contact details, including your email address and telephone number
- Details of the Masonic Membership which qualifies you to apply
- Details of your enquiry or request and relevant supporting information
- Information about your financial circumstances and other relevant details we need to consider your enquiry or application and to provide the service and/or support you have requested
- Monitoring information to manage and improve our services
Why we collect it
- To advise you about making an application;
- To assess your eligibility for support; including checking our archives and records held by United Grand Lodge of England to verify the Masonic Membership or connection which qualifies you to apply;
- To signpost you to other charities and organisations including government departments and agencies that we believe may be able to assist you;
- To facilitate the provision of charitable support;
- To maintain a record of our work and any support you may receive;
- To ask you to tell us how we can improve the services of the Foundation for you and others.
You are under no obligation to provide the data we request and/or may withdraw your consent for us to use it at any time. If you choose not to provide the data requested or to withdraw your consent for processing then we may be unable to consider your request for assistance or to continue to provide support.
Why we are able to use it
We are able to process your data because:
- you have provided your consent for us to do so
- it is in your legitimate interest for us to answer your enquiry, consider your request for support and to provide you with support; or
- it is necessary to fulfil or prepare a contract.
If you choose to withdraw your consent, then processing carried out whilst the consent was in place will still be considered lawful.
Children under 18
We do not directly provide services to children under the age of 18.
In order to process an enquiry, application or grant we may need to collect personal data for a child under 18. We will only collect and process data for a child under 18 where it is in their legitimate interest to process the data and/or we have the consent of the parent/guardian.
How we collect it
We will collect your information during contact with you, including via telephone, video conference, electronic messaging (e.g. SMS text message), email, written correspondence, and face to face conversations.
We will also collect information through:
- Our Application Forms, supporting documentation and specific requests for supplementary information.
- Written reports from relevant health or social care professionals or educational professionals or tutors/coaches. We will always seek your consent to obtain these reports.
A third party may gather and verify personal information on our behalf as part of the application process. We take appropriate steps to ensure that any information you provide is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
How long we keep it
- Data will be retained for as long as it is required to deal with your enquiry, consider your application and/or provide support and in accordance with our statutory obligations.
- Enquiry records are deleted or destroyed after three years.
- Records relating to applications and grants, including any linked enquiry, are deleted or destroyed 7 years after the completion of the case.
Who we share it with
We will not sell, distribute or release your information to third parties, other than those listed, unless we have your permission; or we believe that you or someone else has been or is at risk of serious harm; or we are required to do so by law.
We will not transfer your data outside of the European Economic Area without your permission and we will always contact you before we do this.
All enquiries, applications and grants
An identified list of representatives of the Metropolitan, Provincial or District Grand Lodge in the area where you live and the qualifying Freemason is, or was, a Member will have access to the information you provide. They are only able to use the information to:
- Establish if the Metropolitan, Provincial or District Grand Lodge or an associated Charity can offer additional support; and / or
- Provide additional information to assist with the grant decision process.
If you do not want the identified representatives to have access to your information then please tell us.
If we believe that the RMBI Care Company or Mark Benevolent Fund may be able to assist you then the information you provide to us will be shared with them. If you do not want to be considered for support by these organisations then please tell us.
Applications for private medical treatment
If you make an application for help with the cost of private medical treatment, we will contact the provider recommended by your consultant to confirm the cost. We will need to tell them your name and contact details, your date of birth, the name of the recommended treatment and your consultant’s details. We will use this information to assess your application and to facilitate the provision of support.
Applications for counselling
If you request counselling, we will provide you with contact details for our third party supplier who will provide the service. We will not directly share your personal data with the supplier.
Grants for mobility equipment or aids
If you request mobility equipment or aids, we will work with a third party supplier to assess, supply and maintain items appropriate to your needs. We will only share your contact details and the information necessary to provide you with the appropriate equipment.
Independent living loans from the Victor Donaldson Fund
The MCF administers the Victor Donaldson Fund on behalf of the RMBI Care Company. If you make an application to the Fund then we will need to share your application with them in order to assess your request for support. You can find out more about the steps they take to protect your data here.
If you are offered a loan from the Victor Donaldson Fund and return a signed loan agreement, we will work with a solicitor to secure a charge against your property. We will only share the information that is legally necessary to prepare and fulfil the contract.
How we keep it safe
The information you provide to us will be kept securely to ensure no unauthorised access or disclosure occurs. Your information will be securely destroyed when no longer required.
Automated decision making
We do not use automated decision making.
Accessing and correcting your information
You have the right to:
- See the data we hold about you
- Request the erasure or correction of the data we hold about you
- Object to us processing your data
- Obtain a copy of your data so you can use it for a different service
You can ask us to do any of the above by contacting Gill Bennett, Grants Manager on email@example.com or 0203 146 3333. We will deal with all requests promptly.
Your right to complain
You have the right to be confident that we will handle your personal information responsibly and in line with good practice.
If you have a concern about the way we are handling your information then you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113.
If you have any questions about how we process your data or would like more information then please contact us.
Data Protection Lead
John McCrohan Operations Director
Masonic Charitable Foundation
60 Great Queen Street
Changes to this privacy notice
Any changes to this privacy notice will be posted here.
This statement was reviewed and updated on 7 June 2021.